When you start out playing table tennis as a beginner, you will have a question ” What is the best table tennis bat (in India)”? or What TT racket should I buy or use as a beginner/intermediate player.
In this post, you will find out:
- 3 Best Table Tennis Bats Under 1000 INR.
- Table tennis bats for every range.
- How to choose a Table Tennis Racket.
- Things to note while buying a Bat.
Let’s get started.
Read also :
- Table tennis rules beginners should know.
- How to play the basic Table tennis strokes.
- How to hold a Bat and, Stance for beginners.
Best Table Tennis Bat Under 1000 Indian Rupees
For under 1000 Indian rupees, the best TT bats are:-
|Absolute Beginner||STAG 4 Star||Good control and decent spin|
|Pre-Intermediate||GKI Dragon||Good enough for the price|
|Intermediate||GKI Kungfu DX|
GKI Offensive XX
|Both are great. XX has slight edge
|Advanced||Stiga PRO carbon||This is priced over 3000 INR.
Recommended that you buy separate bat and rubber.
- For absolute beginners who have just started playing table tennis and are looking for a decent enough bat, I would recommend this racket by Stag (4-star table tennis racquet).
- For pre-intermediate players who have played TT for more than 3 months, go for the GKI Dragon Table Tennis Racquet.
- And Intermediate players who have played for more than 6 months consistently, you can go for the GKI Kung Fu DX or GKI Offensive XX ( both are equally good) but I would suggest you stretch your budget a little and go for Stag or Butterfly brands.
Stag 4 Star table tennis racquets are among the ideal racquets present in the market.
It offers you a good experience and is suitable for beginner/ advanced level players. This is an ideal racquet for players keen on learning the game and passionate about improving their skill set.
At the beginner level, the racquet will provide you with good speed and control moderate spin, which helps in learning and grooming the skill set of firm gripping and smash shots. With a great grip that has a high control feature, you can deliver neat shots with a lot of precision.
- ITTF (International Table Tennis Federation) approved
- Good control and Fine Spin
- Comfortable Handle and a better grip
- Highly durable and excellent quality rubber
- Meant for beginners looking forward to stepping up for a professional play
- Good Speed
- Grip Style: Shake hand
- Handle Style: FL (Flared)
- Speed : 70, Spin : 70, Control : 95
- Weight: 178g
- Head Size: 110sq in
- Beam Width: 24 mm
- Stag 4-star racquet has high-quality rubber, which provides a similar level of speed and spin. The rubber gives optimum control over the ball. The rubbers are durable and help a beginner to control his shots and focus on his skill set one after the other.
- High quality selected wood for a better game. It offers amazing grip and control over the blade, which improves overall game. Ideal bat for amateur as it gives superb control and balance all over.
- Suitable for: Beginner players to step up their game.
Stag is a world leader in the precise manufacturing of the table tennis equipment and this racket proves it. If you are more than a beginner and never tried Stag racket, you should try this one.
GKI racquets are currently one of the best brands dominating in India.
IT is due to its high quality and performance delivered that this racquet is popular among players. For every price range, there is a GKI bat which justifies its price.
A favourite choice of uncompromising attackers are these adeptly designed ping-pong bats which are made in compliance with the set standards and norms of the game. Highly recommended by coaches these bats characterize sturdy wood best rubber and cozy handle which altogether make them well suitable for club and national level tournaments.
- Great bat for beginners as well as advanced level player.
- Spin and pace shots are excellent.
- Weight is also correct neither heavy nor light. Feels great in hand.
- Speed: 90 , Spin: 90, Control: 97
- Yes, you will get good spin. But spin is a combination of racket and skill. So if you are good at spin, the racket will surely help in spinning.
- It comes with a cover. GKI provides cover with all its rackets.
- If your game is good enough then this bat will surely give you control but it can not provide you with a spin around just with a nudge as the high-ended racquets can do. But for general play, this one is surely proving its worth.
- The handle is made of wood only but its polished so much that it will feel slippery. So generally make some holes at some places to get a good grip. For people whose palms sweat, its difficult to get a good grip. But the rubber is very good. So if you can manage with the handle, its a good buy.
Creating a craze amongst amateur as well as professional table tennis players with premium quality ping pong rackets are deluxe models of popular kung-fu racket.
These rackets depict oval blade printed with the charming and inspiring scene of table tennis sport. Imported handle of these rackets is comfortable to grip. They are the true synonym for durability and beauty.
- Excellent for the intermediate player or advanced beginners
- Oval blade and quality grip
- Offers great control
- Speed: 91 Spin: 91 Control: 97
- Slightly heavy in nature than rest ones but control is good. Due to heavy in nature the topspin, smash etc are much better.
GKI KungFu DX has good grip and good control. It helps a great deal to learn how to do serves, backhand actions, forehand topspins, heavy topspin blocks, etc. Expensive bats will never help you learn the same. Powerful bats expect the user to have strong basics, because powerful bats generally do not have that great control.
You can go for it.
Fast Table Tennis Bats which are manufactured to bring perfection for all offensive and aggressive all round table tennis players.
Use of quality checked imported and Indian components makes this Table Tennis Bat last for a long period of time. This is a must have Table Tennis racket to win any high-level table tennis championship.
- It’s a perfect balance for spin-offensive play, this racket has got good control and spin.
- It is the best Table Tennis rackets for beginners at a cheap price.
- This TT racket is good for offensive shots and also for the chop, it provides you a good grip to shot.
- The GKI Offensive XX Table Tennis Racquet is made from superior class materials to offer lasting durability and high performance.
- Hit those power-packed shots with ease as the racquet provides an excellent and strong grip.
- Extremely light in weight, the racquet is easy to handle and manoeuvre.
- The racquet is highly durable and can withstand the wear and tear of regular use.
- Offers Good Control: Offering outstanding control, you can easily play those quick and controlled shots.
- Good spin power
- Great speed and control
- Speed: 92 Spin: 92 Control: 96
- Thick blade
- Best suited for: Advanced beginners and Intermediate players
GKI Offensive XX is a good racket.
It will give you control. A lot of control. But speed and responsiveness is bit on a low side. This bat won’t allow you to go too far from the table. Otherwise, your shot will end up in net as speed is very less. I have personally used this bat for 6 months. Afterwards, I upgraded to Butterfly Wakaba 1000.
For an offensive type of play, Go for it.
I have recommended these Table tennis bats in accordance with- top brands in India, with credibility and value.
These bats have been chosen and recommended based on qualities of the TT racquets like control, spin, speed, budget and market.
The bat that I have been using since last year: Butterfly Wakaba 2000 ( I wouldn’t recommend it though). It’s in the price range of 1500-2500 INR.
Under 500 INR
Stag 4 Star Table Tennis Racquet.
Under 1000 INR
GKI kung fu DX or GKI Offensive XX
Best under 1500 INR
Best under 2500 INR
Best above 3000 INR
How to select a TT bat
I have written a detailed post on it here. But, here’s the summary.
There are two types of TT bats which are available:
- READY MADE or PRE-MADE BATS
- CUSTOMIZED TABLE TENNIS RACQUETS
The ready-made or pre-made bats are. For example: GKI Kung fu, Stag , Donic, Butterfly etc.
These bats are suitable only for the Beginner, pre-intermediate and to a certain extent the Intermediate players.
These bats don’t give full control on your game. The factors such as spin, speed, control( which will be talked about later in the post) etc are decided by the Racquet company itself.
The Customized bats, as the name suggests are customized to a players game.
Here is a great article on how to choose a customised table tennis bat( step by step)
You can separately purchase your rubber and blade etc.
You should purchase a customized bat when you are advanced intermediate to expert level in Table tennis.
You have the option to choose the blade, the rubber( which influences spin and control) and also the handle thus helping you have full control of the game.
Purchase it when you know your game really well and when you wish to have greater and improved control on your game.
So, I hope you understood the types of bats and which one is for whom.
In short, Ready made bat: Beginners
Customized bats: Advanced Players
Things to note while buying a Table tennis bat
Before that, lets first see what a Table tennis bat is made of:
The TT bat consists of – Blade and handle, sponge and rubber
The blade is made of wood. The different ply of wood is stacked on top of each other. A layer of sponge is over the plies and then comes the rubber.
The quality of a TT racket depends on the following factors:
- Thickness and Blade Quality
- Handle and Grips
Thickness: The thickness of the blade affects the blade performance. Thicker the blade ( i.e more plies on the bat), lesser is the flexibility which in turn means faster shots. This is suitable for aggressive play.
Thinner the blade, more flexible the bat and players can effectively control shots of the opponent. This is suitable for Defensive/ All-round play.
Speed, Spin, and Control: The speed, spin, and control determine a crucial role in accessing the quality of a bat.
These three factors are dependent on factors such as the blade, handle, weight etc.
Generally, if you have an aggressive style of play Speed will matter more to you.
On the other hand, Defensive/All-round players prefer spin and control over speed.
Handle and Grips: There are four types of handle types and grips:
- Anatomical Handle
- Conical handle
- Flared handle
- Straight handle.
It is advised that you go with the flared handle. Reason being, it is easier to grip in the hand and difficult to slip out of the back of the hand (while holding it loosely) because it is bigger at the bottom compared to the centre.
Weight: Heavier the Racquet, more power and speed can be generated.
- Topspins are explosive from long and mid-distance. Blocks can be deadly.
- Close to the table play might be little difficult. Loops are spinny and difficult to handle sometimes.
Lighter the racket, faster is your movement and control on the shot.
- Easier switch from Backhand to forehand vice versa. Very good control
- Blocks might not be strong and more effort to topspin the ball.
Wood: The quality of the wood also affects the performance. As seen earlier in the blade quality and thickness, same applies here.
More the number of wood ply, heavier the bat, better the speed and attacking style of play.
Rubber: The type of rubber you use on your bat also affect your game.
Different types of rubber have different effects on the bat. Some rubbers would be suitable for spin, some for speed and some for control etc.
Megaspin.com has a really in-depth article on how you can choose the rubber. (click here to read)
What not to buy
- Cheap quality pre-made bats
- Bats without rubbers
- Bats with holes or uneven rubber and random gaps
- Plastic bat( unless buying for small kids)
- Also, remember to buy stuff which is approved by TTFI ( Table tennis federation of India)
Other Indian Brands
Here is the list of other brands in India for tt
There are many table tennis bats for every range. What is important is that you first have knowledge of what your game style is.
Once you know your game style, attacking, defensive, all-around etc, it will be pretty easy for you to select a bat apt for your style.
There are a lot of premade bats available in the market. And, each one does justice to a particular set of gameplay.
Not all players can play effectively with all bats.
In the beginning, don’t just pick out any racquet and start playing. Even if you do pick any bat and play. Sooner than later, you will understand the pros and cons of different bats.
After having selected your bat, stick to it for at least six months before changing bats. If you are in a habit of frequently changing bats, your technique and stroke will suffer.
Once you stick with a bat for long enough, however bad your game be, it gets integrated into your stroke play. And once it becomes an integral part, You will become a better player.
Keep playing and Keep bettering yourself.